Friday, May 13, 2011

We were doing so well...

I have to say, this winter has been pretty mild, for both snow in the Valley and sickness for the Hartley's. We hadn't had our usual weekly trips to Dr. Cox for Strep, Ear Infections, Impetigo...you know the stuff we normally get. All this good luck was bound to end, and end it did on April 10th. It was Sunday and we were frantically finishing getting ready for church (which is at 9...I don't know how we EVER make it in time), all the kids were ready and Brad and i were just finishing getting ready in our bathroom when we heard Blakely start screaming.She didn't quit crying when Brad picked her up which is unusual for her but i thought it was just because she was ready for a nap. We put her in her car seat (all the while she is screaming) and headed off to church. Right when we walked into church I sent Brad and the boys in to find a seat and i took her straight into the mothers room to feed her and get her to sleep. When I reached in to pull her out she flinched like I had just pinched her REALLY hard and started screaming. Again, I thought she was hungry and tired and just tried to nurse her and make her happy. She just couldn't stop crying though...it didn't take me long to figure out that something was really wrong. Every time i even grazed her right arm she FREAKED out! I went and got Brad and showed him how much she was hurt and we decided to take her straight to Insta-Care. Blake was in so much pain! She just wanted to cuddle with me, which if you know Blake you know that is NOT NORMAL.


Once she had x-rays (she screamed through the whole thing), the Dr saw that there were no broken bones and thought that maybe she had what is called "nurse maid elbow", which is essentially a dislocated elbow. So she did this quick little maneuver and left us alone for 15 min to see if it helped. Turns out that's what it was. Her little arm was tender for a few days but she was back to normal pretty quick. Here is a sad little picture of us waiting for the Dr. at insta-care.


I wish she would cuddle with me more, but not under these circumstances!!



That same week I got a call from Ky's school that his big toe looked infected, so I picked him up and ran him to a podiatrist that Brad works with and he had an ingrown toenail that had to be removed...that was pleasant (did you catch the sarcasm?). He actually did better than I expected but I couldn't watch! Tyce on the other hand stood right next to the Dr. and watched the whole thing and was fascinated. It didn't gross him out one bit...maybe we have a doctor on our hands. Sure wish I was a doctor, I would have paid for med school with all the savings I would have had by not having to go the the dr so often!

Ky and his toe...all better!


We also got a call from the Health Department that week informing us that Blakely had a possible exposure to measles while we were at the instacare taking care of her arm. She had to go get an MMR and we waited on pins and needles for the rest of the week hoping she wouldn't be quarantined and not allowed to go on our Aruba trip. It was a stressful week to say the least. But all is well that ends well I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment